Thursday, May 27, 2010

Barefoot Urban Legends #1: Driving

One of my concerns with the going barefoot thing has been driving. I was told (though I don't remember by WHO) that driving barefoot is illegal. Fred asked me about that today too.

So I though I'd do a bit of searching on the issue. Guess what. Urban legend. At least in Michigan. I wouldn't be surprised if it's illegal SOMEWHERE but I'm guessing that it's not common.

From the Michigan State Police:

Urban Legends of Michigan Traffic Law
The Traffic Services Section frequently receives questions based on misconceptions or urban legends. Some of these questions may involve valid laws or procedures in other states or provinces, but many fall into the category of myth or urban legend. A few of the more frequently asked questions appear below.
....
Barefoot Driving: There is nothing in the Michigan Vehicle Code that prohibits barefoot driving. Careless or reckless driving would really be a stretch, as an argument could be made that a barefoot person has more control over the pedals.
....

There are some other goodies in there too, but that's the bit that pertains to us.

I've conducted an informal poll and this is a very popular myth. Odd really. Glad to have it clarified.

Oh, and credit where credit is due, I got the link above from here:

No comments:

Post a Comment